- This event has passed.
From Russia to Rustbelts: Witness to Democratic Fragility with Fiona Hill
May 18 @ 5:15 pm - 7:30 pm
Please join us at The Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Auditorium: 1375 E 9th St. Cleveland, OH 44114.
Since her testimony in the 2019 presidential impeachment hearings, Fiona Hill is sounding the alarm on the conditions that lead to populism and democratic decline the world over in her book There Is Nothing for You Here. Drawing comparisons between economic dislocation in places like the Rust Belt, manufacturing regions of England and the former Soviet Union, Dr. Hill exposes the fragility of democracy as a global political system. After her years serving as senior director for European and Russian affairs on the National Security Council, she has returned to Brookings as a Senior Fellow in the Foreign Policy Program at the Center on the United States and Europe.
Fiona Hill is a senior fellow in the Center on the United States and Europe in the Foreign Policy program at Brookings. From 2017 to 2019, she recently served as deputy assistant to the president and senior director for European and Russian affairs on the National Security Council. From 2006 to 2009, she served as national intelligence officer for Russia and Eurasia at The National Intelligence Council. She is co-author of Mr. Putin: Operative in the Kremlin (2015.) Her new book There is Nothing For You Here will be available for sale at the event. Click here to pre-order your copy.
5:15 PM Reception
6:00 PM Program begins
6:45 PM Q&A
7:15 PM Program concludes
Admission: Non-Members $25; Members $15; Students $5.
Location: The Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Auditorium, One Cleveland Center
Address: 1375 E 9th St. Cleveland, OH 44114
Parking: One Cleveland Center Parking Garage 1000 St Clair Ave NE Cleveland, OH 44114 Additional parking options include other lots in the downtown area and street parking, if parking restrictions are not in place. Car services, such as Uber and Lyft, are always an option. CCWA also encourages walking, biking, or public transportation, including the RTA.
Book Orders: Click here to pre-order Dr. Hill’s book, “There is Nothing For You Here” for pick up at the event through our partner, Visible Voice Books.
COVID-19 Policy: Please review our updated Guide to Participating in Foreign Policy Forums for our COVID policies, including information about masking and proof of vaccination.
Registration: This event is SOLD OUT. With questions, contact our office at 216.781.3730.
CCWA’s 2021-2022 Foreign Policy Forum is supported by funding from FUJIFILM Healthcare Americas Corporation.
Foreign Policy Forum COVID-19 Protocol Update March 2022
In light of the evolving nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, we are amending our health security measures as we continue in-person programming.
As of March 23, 2022, the Cleveland Council on World Affairs will make the following changes to our Foreign Policy Forum COVID-policies.
Proof of vaccination or negative test
- All guests must show either proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test result upon entry to the event.
- “Fully vaccinated” means that an individual has received BOTH a full course of the first CDC or WHO approved vaccine.
- Those guests who cannot be vaccinated must provide proof of a negative test result received from a completed lab-certified antigen COVID-19 test within 24 hours prior to entering the event or a negative test result received from a completed PCR COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to entering the venue. The BinaxNOW COVID-19 Home Test (the version requiring a virtual appointment) is an acceptable option. More information about COVID-19 testing is available on local or state Department of Health websites.
- Guests may present proof of vaccination or negative test on paper or a smartphone.
Masking and Social Distancing Options
- Masks are optional during Foreign Policy Forums
- Practice social distancing, as you feel comfortable
- Advance ticket purchases are required; No walk-ins allowed
- Credit card payment only
Stay home if ill
Guests who have been exposed to COVID-19 and/or are experiencing symptoms are asked to remain at home and contact us to request a refund.
Please contact us with any questions or concerns by phone (216) 781-3730 or email email@example.com.
These guidelines are implemented at CCWA’s Foreign Policy Forum programs. Information about CCWA’s COVID protocols for our global education programs and other events, please contact our office.