CONNECTING CLASSROOMS TO WORLD AFFAIRS
Bridges to the World is a professional development program that trains cohorts of educators in middle and high school classrooms to become confident instructors in global education. This initiative includes a series of interactive workshops that examine the key elements of global education and explore a multitude of educational resources for teachers in the realms of world affairs, geopolitical issues and U.S. foreign policy.
The cornerstone of this program is the Bridges to the World workshop series. Participating teachers are required to attend three workshops. The workshops lead a cohort of participants through the four stages of global competency, using the Asia Society framework. Thanks to this framework, participants learn how to engage students in current events and international issues through investigating the world, recognizing the perspectives of others, communicating their ideas and taking action.
“Well done getting us moving and collaborating! I really appreciated the diversity of options and thoughtful resources provided. I plan on sharing these resources with our other staff to support cross-curricular planning and individual lessons.” – Spring 2019 Participant
CCWA also organizes additional ad-hoc professional development opportunities for educators. Please see more information below.
Benefits for Teachers
The program will provide opportunities to:
- Build personal relationships with colleagues from across Northeast Ohio;
- Explore the Choices Program’s resources and approach to teaching controversial international issues
- Receive other resources that support global education; and
- Reflect and discuss with peers how to best utilize these resources.
Participants will acquire:
- The Choices Program Teacher’s set, lesson plans, and resources for engaging students in discussion and project-based learning;
- 24 contact hours to be used toward Continuing Education Units (CEUs); and
- Opportunity to earn two graduate credits through Cleveland State University.
Benefits for Districts
Participating educators will:
- Exchange information and ideas and build personal relationships with teachers across the region;
- Form learning communities within and among districts to share knowledge that fosters 21st century learning skills and success within a global context;
- Develop a comprehensive plan based on a selected global issue or region of the world that requires teachers to utilize resources from the program; and
- Engage in programming aligned with the Ohio Department of Education’s focus on preparing our students for success in the 21st century.
Spring 2022 Bridges to the World Workshop Schedule
Please check back for more information.
Other Upcoming Professional Development Opportunities for Educators:
We are currently working to create engaging professional development opportunities for educators. Please check back later for more information.
If you are interested in participating in Bridges to the World or for more information on our professional development opportunities, please contact Elizabeth Coerdt, Manager of Global Education, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (216) 255-9002.