CONNECTING CLASSROOMS TO WORLD AFFAIRS
Bridges to the World is a series of interactive workshops that examine the key elements of global education and explore a multitude of resources for educators to foster global competence in their classrooms. The semester-long professional development program will train a cohort of educators in middle and high school classrooms to become confident instructors in global education. The initiative will offer educational resources and professional development opportunities for teachers in the realms of world affairs, geopolitical issues and U.S. foreign policy.
Participating teachers will be required to attend three workshops to evaluate and reflect upon implementation of resources in the classroom. The workshops lead a cohort of participants through the four stages of global competency, using the Asia Society framework. Participants will learn how to engage students in current events and international issues through investigating the world, recognizing the perspectives of others, communicating their ideas and taking action.
Benefits for Teachers
The program will provide opportunities to:
- Build personal relationships with colleagues from across Northeast Ohio;
- Explore the Choices Program’s resources and approach to teaching controversial international issues and other resources that support global education; and
- Reflect and discuss with peers how to best utilize these resources.
Participants will acquire:
- The Choices Program Teacher’s set, lesson plans, and resources for engaging students in discussion and project-based learning;
- 24 contact hours to be used toward Continuing Education Units (CEUs); and
- Certificate of Global Understanding.
Benefits for Districts
Participating educators will:
- Exchange information and ideas and build personal relationships with teachers across the region;
- Form learning communities within and among districts to share knowledge that fosters 21st century learning skills and success within a global context;
- Develop a comprehensive plan based on a selected global issue or region of the world that requires teachers to utilize resources from the program; and
- Engage in programming aligned with the Ohio Department of Education’s focus on preparing our students for success in the 21st century.
CCWA is pleased to invite you to join our learning cohort to advance your skills in engaging students in the investigation, discussion, and action-based learning of current events. Registration for our Spring 2019 cohort will open soon!
Spring 2019 Workshop Schedule
- January 18, 2019: Workshop I
- March 15, 2019: Workshop II
- May 24, 2019: Workshop III
Workshop I Schedule: The Middle East
8:00 AM Registration and Breakfast
8:30 AM Introduction to Global Education
9:15 AM Investigate the World I – The Choices Program
10:00 AM Break
10:15 AM Investigate the World II – The Middle East: Questions for U.S. Policy Unit
11:30 AM Recognize Perspectives I – Engage in the Choices Program’s Options Role Play: Rationale and Preparation
12:30 PM Lunch provided by the Cleveland Council on World Affairs
1:15 PM Recognize Perspectives II – Engage in the Choices Program’s Options Role Play: Conduct, Debrief, and Modify
2:15 PM Break
2:30 PM Communicate Ideas – Learn about online platforms that connect your classroom to other classrooms worldwide
3:30 PM Take Action – Explore project-based learning resources that empower your students to support a cause (i.e., Pennies for Peace, iEarn)
4:00 PM Evaluation and Closing
If you have questions, please email us at email@example.com.