DEVELOPING INTERNATIONAL AWARENESS FOR MORE THAN 90 YEARS
The Cleveland Council on World Affairs is a non-profit organization that was founded in 1923 to promote world peace. Today, we deliver a range of programs that promote international affairs education and build global understanding.
THE COUNCIL’S HISTORY
For more than 90 years, the Cleveland Council on World Affairs has been the premiere organization in Northeast Ohio building understanding about and engagement in international relations and global issues.
Our founding stems from an organization created in 1923 by a group of women interested in promoting international peace which within two years merged with a men’s international study group. Together they took on a broader role in keeping citizens of Greater Cleveland informed about major international relations under the strong board leadership of Newton D. Baker, former mayor of the City of Cleveland, founder of the law firm of Baker Hostetler, and Secretary of War under Woodrow Wilson. Over the years CCWA has responded to changes in the global community and society by expanding our mission to encompass new programs and projects.
During the inspired 10-year staff leadership of Brooks Emeny, beginning in the mid 1930’s during an isolationist period in this country, the Council greatly expanded its public programs and forums and provided education classes in collaboration with Cleveland College, then the downtown continuing education arm of Western Reserve University. Following World War II, the Council fostered the recovery of Western Europe through sponsoring a national conference in Cleveland in collaboration with Time magazine.
CCWA has operated school programs since at least 1945 when CCWA held its first Model United Nations conference for high school students and has done so annually since then, making it the oldest Model UN program in the country. CCWA has programmed visits to Cleveland for international visitors since 1948 when Congress first authorized a State Department program designed to build ties with emerging leaders from countries around the world.
In 2006, the Council absorbed the Cleveland International Program, founded locally in 1956 for international exchanges. CIP was originally designed to enable social workers and health care providers to spend a year learning from their professional counterparts in Cleveland.